Astral travel requires that the physical aspects of life be in balance so the soul can feel free and available to travel to the astral plane. To travel, a state of rest and peace and physical well being are needed. To engage in astral travel during a meditation, the body must be in a state of rest, peace, and the mind needs to be occupied, almost in a hypnotic state. It is this hypnotic state which keeps the mind occupied so as to not interfere with the astral travel experience of that soul.
Getting the Mind into a Hypnotic State
To help the mind go into a hypnotic state, many use a sound to place their focus on during a meditation. Some call out the word “Ohm” and that sound and vibration, with that continual tone, helps lull the mind into an occupied state.
Preparing for the Meditation
With the goal of having your soul travel to the astral plane and to have your mind be occupied so that it does not interfere with the travel experience, you need to prepare yourself for the travel meditation.
1) Sit in your usual meditation position.
2) Be a state of rest and relaxation.
3) Verbalize out loud or think, “I wish to travel to the astral plane”. This alerts your mind and spirit to what you desire.
4) Verbalize out loud or think, “I wish to meet my Higher Self”. This gives your soul a direction as to where to go once it goes to the astral plane.
5) Verbalize out loud or think, “I wish to recall the experience”. This alerts your soul and mind to be trained to recall the experience. (The recall would be in a different meditation. It will not be done in the same meditation).
6) Begin your meditation and focus your mind on a source to keep it continually occupied for the duration of the meditation. (The length of time you require for this will change as you improve).
Recalling the Meditation
If you have truly traveled to the astral plane during the meditation, you will most likely not be able to recall the event right after the meditation because your "mind" was focused on the distraction while your soul traveled. To recall the astral travel experience, you will need to engage in a recall meditation. Sometimes the ability to recall the travel experience may be days or weeks later. If you have trained yourself to remember dreams, the travel recall may come in a dream. If you have trained yourself to use telepathy, the recall may be through telepathy.